Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Veggie Tuesday


Have you ever taken a ride on the tunnel of love. Here we go when I made the first cut into this tomato it looks like the tunnel of love. All the flavors popping out with the Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs and garlic, what is a girl to do but find a sweetheart to kiss. I can't wait to make these tomatoes again and again. Tomatoes are rich in the antioxidant lycopene, which is most readily absorbed by the body when cooked. Fifteen minutes to dinner time I am sure they would be great to give a try on the BBQ and not heat up the house like I did. You will not be disappointed with this recipe they come out so perfect, even company would think you slaved all day.
Tunnel of Love Tomatoes

8 firm but ripe plum tomatoes
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs I used Italian seasoned
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon parsley
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat the over to 425F. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray.

Remove a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato so it will stand upright. Slice the tops from the tomatoes and discard. Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of pulp from each tomato and place the pulp in a bowl. Arrange the tomatoes up right in the prepared baking dish.

Add the bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic, parsley, basil, olive oil, pepper, and salt to the bowl with the tomato pulp and stir to combine. The mixture should look like wet sand. If it is too wet, add a few bread crumbs. If it is too dry, add a few drops of water. Gently mound a heaping tablespoon of topping into the cavity of love on each tomato.

Bake until the tomatoes are tender and the topping is lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

6 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look lovely, Lynette. I like to served stuffed tomatoes with plain roast meats. Really nice!

Reeni said...

I like how you named these. They look delicious - I bet they would be really good grilled.

Pam said...

I think I am in love...these are beautiful and tasty. Great recipe!

Debbie said...

Oh they looks so colorful and delicious! A great summer dinner!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These are beautiful stuffed tomatoes-they sound delicious with this stuffing!Thanks for a great recipe!

teresa said...

Oh my goodness, I want this for lunch tomorrow, beautiful!