Monday, June 8, 2009

Gourmet Monday

I was the first to turn up my nose to wheat. In this recipe I used for a first time bulgur wheat. Bulgur wheat is a staple in the Middle East bulgur comes from whole wheat kernels that have been partially steamed, dried, and then cracked. It is commonly used in salads, soups and fillings. The nutty flavor adds to any dish. This is a great recipe the chicken was so tender and juicy the spinach was just perfect soft but not really cooked long. This is another recipe from the Nutrition Action Healthletter. The recipe serves 6. Tons of protein and fiber. You will not be disappointed and the children will learn to eat something new.
Chicken Peperonata

11/2 cup bulgur
6 oz spinach
11/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 sweet bell peppers, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 lb. plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a medium pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the bulgur. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Turn off the burner and let the bulgur sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach.

While the bulgur is cooking, put the chicken in a plastic bag and pound with a meat mallet or the back of a frying pan to an even 1/2" thickness. In a deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute the chicken, turning once, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and vinegar. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Return the chicken to the pan and heat through. Season with pepper and up to 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Serve with the bulgur and spinach.

11 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What wonderful color. I'd be happy to have this for my dinner any night.

Creative Classroom Core said...

I really love bulgar - great to have another recipe to use it in!

Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious to me!!!

Jennifer said...

I have always wanted to try bulger but been afraid! I will give this a whirl!

Katy ~ said...

I haven't had bulgar in decades. I'd enjoy it, but I don't think my Ole Sweetie-Pi would go near it. **Sigh** Your meal looks so good!!

Sara said...

I love bulghur, especially in tabbouleh! This looks delicious.

Lyndas recipe box said...

What a colorful, healthy looking meal, Nett! I'll have to see if I can find bulghur in my town.

Ginger said...

Lynette,

I love your healthy recipes. I really like the photos. I definitely want to try bulgur. The flavors of your dish are fresh and fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.

Coleens Recipes said...

How colorful! I've never cooked with bulgur wheat, very interesting.

Lara said...

I keep reading articles about how healthful it is to eat Mediterranean, but have never really experimented much with cooking it myself. This looks like a great recipe to get started with!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

YUM! This is wonderful. i'd love this for supper.