Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Low Cal Wednesday

These meatballs are baked, not fried. Savory and fragrant with herbs and garlic. Quick and easy to make and low in calories. I debated over using a bottled sauce and just decided on a few tomatoes and an red onion with a little more garlic. The more I try ground turkey the more I like it. I guess something is working in this way of living. Since going to the Doctor a few weeks ago I found out that my cholesterol has gone down 25 points and my weight has gone down 25 also since the first of the year. Lets just hope I can keep it up while we go to Germany. This recipe serves 6 at 148 calories for the meatballs. Quick and easy you can have dinner on the table in minutes. I found this recipe in the American Medical Association Healthy Heart Cookbook.
Garlic Meatballs

1 pound 99-percent fat-free ground turkey breast or chicken breast
1/2 cup fresh whole-grain bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup plain soy milk
1 egg white
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F

In a bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, Parmesan, soy milk, egg white, garlic, olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Shape the turkey mixture into 24 meatballs about 1 inch in diameter, using about 2 tablespoons per meatball.

Arrange the meatballs on a nonstick baking sheet so they are not touching and bake, turning once halfway through for even browning, until cooked through, 10-12 minutes.

11 comments:

Pam said...

How can you beat garlic meatballs? They look and sound terrific.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This look delicious and I'll wager they taste as good as they look.

Lyndas recipe box said...

Now these sound like tasty meatballs!Thanks for sharing a healthy recipe!

Sweet Cheeks said...

Oh lordy, lordy those look and sound amazing. mmmm.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh, grlic meatballs sound terrific!

Kristen said...

Good on you for eating well!

Sara said...

Congrats on the good health news! These look delicious, meatballs are always great.

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful! I am a big fan of baking meatballs.

I've don't cook with turkey as often as I should, thanks for the recipe!

;) amy

teresa said...

Great job on the stellar doctor report, I need some of your secrets!

These look incredible. Any food that starts with the word garlic is an instant winner!

Katy ~ said...

Nett, TERRIFIC news about your health update. I am so thrilled for you. Small changes everyday do make a difference, don't they?

I'm liking all the ground turkey recipes I'm seeing; they are certainly a more healthful choice and with the right spices (YUM GARLIC!!!), it can be delicious.

Well done, Nett!

Mom2four said...

That sounds amazing! I will def have to try making my meatballs with turkey.