Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday's are Chocolate


When I follow a recipe I usually try to follow everything. Here is my exception to the rule. As I started to make this cake I realised that something was wrong. The cake calls for 3/4 lb of butter I must of quickly glanced and thought it called for 3/4 cup of butter. We had already been to Albertson's, Sam's Club and Costco today and I was not making another trip out in the rain. Fortunately I had enough butter, but when it came to the eggs someone had borrowed a few" yea me". The recipe calls for four eggs and I used the three I had. Other than that the recipe called for raspberry jam and I used strawberry. Where they used almonds I used coconut. I found this recipe in the April & May Taste of Home magazine. The cake was moist and really chewy. If I make this again, I will use a spring form pan instead of a regular cake pan. It came out of the pan fine the top edge was not as pretty as I would of liked it to be. The jam mixed with the chocolate and coconut was a yummy surprise in the middle.

Chewy Chocolate Raspberry Cake

3 cups sugar
3/4 lb. melted butter
4 eggs (I used 3)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup Nestle cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raspberry jam(I used Strawberry)
1 cup Nestle Toll House mini morsels
3/4 cup sliced almonds(I used coconut)

Preheat your over to 300F.

Mix the sugar and butter in a mixing bowl on low. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add the extracts. Sift together dry ingredients, and add to the batter, mixing until smooth. Pour into greased and papered 9- in cake pan, reserving about 1/3 of the batter. Carefully smooth out a thin layer of the raspberry jam. Top with Chocolate chips and half the sliced almonds. Carefully cover with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the remaining sliced almonds. ( I put the coconut on when the cake was just out of the oven.) Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.

12 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Lynette, A+ for perseverance. And from the looks of it, the cake turned out wonderfully. it sounds very good!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Despite the few problems you produced a lovely cake that I'm sure was absolutely delicious. It is very hard to beat the chocolate/berry combo. Blessings....Mary

Barbara Bakes said...

I love the flavors in this cake. I'm bookmarking it!

Claudia said...

Chocolate and strawberry ... chocolate and raspberry ... it all works! And by the looks of it - it was scrumptious. Bookmarking it!

Linda said...

Looks and sounds good to me. A+ for all those substitions. I think you did great.

the twins said...

that looks great! sometimes substitutions work out better than the original recipe

Jennifer said...

That looks soo good, oh my!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I'd say the cake came out perfect... chocolate cake is my favorite!

Jennifer said...

Yummy!!! I love chocolate and raspberries together :)

Anonymous said...

How delicious with chocolate and raspberry!

Denise said...

Chocolate and raspberry are great together. Way to get it done and make it look great.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Oh I agree with others I do like chocolate and raspberry, but you clever gal, sub'd strawberry...even better I think!