Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Low Cal Wednesday

If you notice on my blog very rarely do I have any breakfast items. The reason being I dislike breakfast. I have to force myself to eat breakfast. Usually a bowl of Cheerios's with some blueberries and a banana and always skim milk or soy. My choice would be to have chocolate for breakfast doughnut, cake, candy bar or chocolate instant breakfast might do. This morning I got out my smoothie maker and whipped it up. It was pretty easy, done in about 2 minutes and easy to clean up. Next time maybe I can do the chocolate instant breakfast and make it into a smoothie that would work even better. I just found a few items in the fridge that I thought would make a good smoothie. The oranges added tons of flavor. It was really good and made enough for two.

Mandarin Pine Nanna Smoothie

1 cup white grape juice
1 cup nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
2 mandarin oranges peeled
1 banana
1 spring of fresh mint
ten ice cubes

Put in the smoothie machine in the order listed above. The key to a smoothie is to have consistency in the liquid and the solid, with the ice cubes added last. Blended for about thirty seconds. Adding the mint added lots of extra flavor and not many calories. It would be great with flax seed or a protein powder. It would be really easy to do in a blender, if you do not have a smoothie maker. Curved my appetite until lunch time.

8 comments:

Robin said...

I have not had a smoothy in ages. This one sound tops! I love white grape juice!

Maria said...

Great way to start the day!

Julie Pia said...

I'm not a breakfast gal either. This looks really yummy and refreshing. Now all I need is some sun, a cabana boy and a swimming pool!

teresa said...

I'm the same with with breakfast, not a huge fan. But I could have this!

Sara said...

I love smoothies, I'll give this one a try! I like to make breakfast for dinner sometimes.

Apples and Butter said...

I have to say that I love breakfast. Not always on the weekdays when I'm running out to get to work, but it is my favorite on the weekends! I have not had a smoothie in ages, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious smoothie recipe! Perfect for my new blender!

Mindy said...

Oh, that look so refreshing!