Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Veggie Tuesday

This is the second time I have made a carrot soup and I will admit that neither time has the soup had very much flavor. I added some thyme and this added some more flavor and I increased the nutmeg. Next time I would also add a can of vegetable broth to increase the amount of soup the recipe makes. The vegans in the family will love this one.
Thyme Roasted Carrot Soup

4 teaspoons olive oil divided
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
11/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus additional to taste divided
2 teaspoon of freshly cut thyme
6 to 8 organic carrots, cut into small chunks
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 organic Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
4 cups filtered water
sprigs of thyme for top

Place 2 teaspoon of oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of thyme and 1/2 teaspoon salt , in large, flat bottomed skillet set over medium heat. Arrange carrots in oil mixture, avoiding overlap as much as possible.
Cover skillet and listen closely for strong sizzle sound. When you hear this, reduce heat to low and cook until carrots are tender and liquid has become a thick syrup, 15 to 20 minutes ( depending on size of carrot pieces).
In large saucepan, place remaining 2 teaspoon of oil, thyme, and onion over medium heat. When onion sizzles, add pinch of salt. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes, nutmeg braised carrots, and water. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 5 minutes more
Transfer soup by ladles to food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pot and war through. Serve garnished with sprigs of thyme.

5 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love carrot soup. Your use of herbs and nutmeg make this one really unique.

Jennifer said...

I have never made Carrot Soup, this looks delish tho and I will put it on my list of things to make!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The combination of the thyme and nutmeg with the carrots has me drooling! We're getting a cold snap and I'd love to try this!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Thyme would be a great addition to this delicious looking soup! Looks wonderful!

Katy ~ said...

I think carrot soup by its very nature has an understated flavor. I just love the color, and I like the addition of the potato to give it a little more body. I know I'd surely enjoy a bowl of your soup!