Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Low Cal Wednesday

One down and one to go. Our son in-law made it home from Afghanistan. Now in just a few months our son will make it back from Iraq. Yeehaw. Thank you for all of the prayers for the soldiers and families. A few weeks ago my Dad asked us to pray for President Obama I thought that is a weird request. Now that I think about it he needs all the prayers he can get his hands on. So far I have been pretty impressed with the performance remember this is my opinion.

Back to food. I made this tasty dish it was so easy and low in calories also. It would be lovely to serve at Easter Brunch or a Shower. I would love to give credit to who wrote the recipe. But I picked it up at the grocery store one of those little cards. I can't even remember which store it came from. One serving is 215 calories. The little children would love this, the grapes have so much flavor. Adding that little bit of almond to the cream just takes it over the top almost to a dessert level. I am sure if you wanted you could easily leave out the sugar and lower the calories more. I did not toast the almonds on mine.
Citrus- Almond Grapes

2 cups red seedless grapes
2 cups green seedless grapes
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
1 cup nonfat whipped topping
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup toasted almonds

In medium bowl stir together grapes, orange juice, sugar and orange peel. Refrigerate grapes at least 3 hours. Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together whipped topping and almond extract. Serve marinated grapes in small glasses. Top with almond-flavored whipped topping and toasted almonds.

11 comments:

Sara said...

I typically serve my grapes plain, I love this idea to dress them up!

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so happy your SIL made it home safe and sound. Hopefully the next few months will flying and your son will be with you before you know it. I can't even imagine the stress on President Obama. Great low cal idea!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am so glad your SIL made it back and will pray that your son in Iraq returns home safely as well. Thank them for their service for me. I think they are heros and their service to our country is the ultimate sacrifce.

What a creative and tasty way to serve grapes. This is quite a treat!

Mary Bergfeld said...

We'll keep praying until they both are sitting at your dinner table. Love today's recipe.

Joie de vivre said...

This looks simple, easy and perfect for spring! I'm so glad your son is back safely. Prayers for your other son (and for Obama too! You are right, he needs all the prayers he can get!)

Jennifer said...

You are absolutely right, I could totally eat this, sub splenda for sugar and it would be perfect! Thank you I am always looking for things I can safely eat!

wisekrock said...

What a great spring time dessert and also very light and refreshing.

Rhyleysgranny said...

How lovely. Simple and refreshing. just the thing to finish a meal. Thank you for dropping into my blog and leaving a comment :)

elle said...

I love fruit! This looks awesome!

Judy said...

This looks wonderful and I eat a lot of fruit. I will have to try it. Thanks. Glad your boys will be home soon. Have a great Easter.

teresa said...

Yay for your family! THis looks wonderful!