Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Veggie Tuesday

Calling all Vegan's this is the recipe for you. I am sorry if I bore anyone with all of the Healthy recipes. I can't help it since I bought this new book and it has pictures. I love the fact that each recipe lists the calories, proteins, sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat. Most of the recipes don't have a long list of ingredients and 3/4 have a picture.One of the best foods for macular degeneration is kale. I just happen to find a recipe. This was a first for the hubby and I we have never had kale before. It was amazing how the color transformed while we were cooking the kale. The kale is a dull color of green doesn't really look to appetizing if you ask me. After about two minutes of cooking the color just livened up in the pan. Now for the flavor sweet and spicy almost to pretty to eat. Serves four at 102 calories a serving. This recipe also came from the American Medical Association Healthy Heart Cookbook.
Spicy Greens with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup shopped sun dried tomatoes, plumped in warm water
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 lb fresh kale or other greens such as collard or mustard, thick ribs and stems cut away, and leaves chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Be sure to swirl fresh greens in plenty of cold water to ensure a good cleaning a quick rinsing doesn't do the trick.
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and the onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
Add the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, and garlic and mix well. Add the greens, one- third at a time, pressing them down as they begin to wilt. Season with the salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, until the greens are tender, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.

9 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

The colors in this dish are amazing - a bit like Christmas in May. I love the use of sun-dried tomatoes. I'll bet they really perked up the dish.

Barbara Bakes said...

I think I need to get that cookbook and get motivated to eat better. Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Pam said...

I am trying to eat healthier so I am really excited about this recipe - it looks tasty.

Tami said...

This dish is very eye catching. I bet the flavors are fabulous. YUM!

Donna-FFW said...

I think the dish looks gorgeous and sounds incredibly tasty.

Lisa Turner said...

I adore sun-dried tomatoes. Love the idea of serving them with greens!

Katy ~ said...

I LOVE kale! Love it, love it.

Ginger said...

Lynette what do you think is the best way to clean fresh greens? I love fresh greens but I am horrible at getting them completely clean. I love the flavor combo. YUM!!

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful and I love the idea of sundried tomatoes with the greens.