Monday, May 18, 2009

Gourmet Monday


While living in Hawaii I learned to love macadamia nuts but I know how fattening they are so I try and resist the temptation. One of our sweet neighbors that we are always taking treats to brought over a big bag of macadamia nuts. MMMMMMMMMMMM I thought we need to put these macadamia nuts in something very creative and give back too the neighbors. I found these perfect Hawaiian Coconut squares. That little bit of coffee just add the perfect touch. They were crunchy on top and chewy on the bottom. I just did not want these Macadamia nuts to go to waste especially my waist.


Macadamia-Coconut Squares

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded or flaked coconut
2 cup chopped toasted macadamia nuts

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9-x13-inch baking pan; set aside. In large mixing bowl, beat butter, 1 cup brown sugar, instant coffee powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes.
In large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla with remaining 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in coconut and macadamias. Spread evenly over cooled baked layer Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Use a knife to loosen cookies around edges while warm. Cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into 48 (about 11/2-inch) squares, cutting 6 strips one way and 8 strips the other way. Store in an airtight container at room temperature 1 week; freeze for longer storage.

21 comments:

teresa said...

This looks awesome, what a yummy treat!

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds delicious! I love crunchy on top and chewy on the bottom!

theUngourmet said...

Yummy, Yummy! These look amazing! I love the idea of adding the coffee powder in there.

Thanks for stopping over my way. Have a wonderful week!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These bars sound amazing and downright addictive! I'm going to try them on my husband; he loves coconut and the coffee touch sounds really good! Thanks, Nett!

kristy said...

I will have to make these for our Sunday dessert.
They sound very yummy!!!

Debbie said...

Oh those sound so good. I love macademia nuts...

Mary Bergfeld said...

I can already tell I'm going to love these! They loo absolutely delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Be still my heart. I love macadamias! Ooooohhhh.... I cannot resist!

Jamie said...

These look fabulous! Yum! I love the combo of flavors in a coffee cake type bar - my favorite!

Jennifer said...

YUM those are my favorite nuts, that looks delish!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These sound and look delicious! I love macademia nus too and have to becareful because they are so fattening and a little pricey too!

Denise said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. These look awesome. I am going to make this week.

Kristen said...

I know I would enjoy these!

Linda said...

Fabulous....they look and sound so good!

Kim said...

These bars looks so chewy and delicious!! My husband loves macadamias and I think he would love these! Thanks for sharing.

Donna-FFW said...

LOVE macadamias also and the combo of coffee and them just makes me want to try these. Crunchy and chewy, oh yes!

Selba said...

Yummm.... Macadamias, one of the best nuts... what a yummy bar!

Molly Jean said...

What a delicious treat!

I have a rookie question... "coffee powder"... is that the same as just instant coffee?

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious! I can't wait to try - I have just enough macadamia nuts and coconut in my pantry.

Sara said...

These look delicious! I just got a bunch of macadamia nuts, and have been looking for recipes to use them in.

Tangled Noodle said...

These have pretty much everything that I love, especially macadamia nuts! I can see myself savoring a square with a nice cup of tea . . .